Thursday, May 18, 2006

Seriously, though.....you really think I'm pretty?

A few days ago I got the following email via Match. The subject line read: "You are pretty, just confused."


The message itself said the following:

Ever noticed how the liberal "intelligencia" go off to Europe to study when they are in their twenties? Must have something to do with that "trust fund" in their future. Also, I have NEVER once met a liberal who is actually had to live with the "poor and oppressed". Yeah, so in other words, you are looking for a lefty (dred-locks prefered) to have casual sex and conversation with for the summer. You might as well go the entire direction and hook up with another girl.

This is one of the more interesting responses I've ever gotten from a personal ad.

First of all, being good self-interested resource maximizers, most people use the online personals as an easy way of making contact with people they might want to date. I guess there's no specific policy against it, but utilizing essentially the opposite strategy; emailing people you think you'd probably hate to say "I don't like your politics and I don't want to go out with you. By the way, you are a lesbian" seems irrational...if only from a time-management perspective.

More to the point, it is interesting to see what I (or an online picture of me coupled with a short description) might come to represent to someone who's never met me. Just like that news photo of John Kerry wind-sailing got used to make Kerry look like an effete, over-educated, East Coast snob who could never, ever sympathize with the problems of the common man, my personal ad clearly signifies, for this dude at least, the kind of woman who really pisses him off. Which is to say the kind of woman who has more education and money than him, insists on cunnilingus, and wants him to do his share of the laundry. Shit...who knows? Maybe my personal ad is out there LOSING an election for the Democratic Party RIGHT NOW!!

Finally, it's fascinating to me that he assumes that I must be rich because I'm in Academia (okay, most academics come from middle-upperclass backgrounds, but I ain't one of 'em) or because I'm a leftist (nah, lefties tend to be poorer than conservatives across the board) or that, since I'm looking for a short-term relationship ("casual sex" in his words) with a guy, I'm OBVIOUSLY something of a dyke. This last is the most egregious example of sad-ass logic in the whole thing...

....although here he is, of course, entirely correct.

6 Comments:

Blogger jeremy said...

For the record, I'm going to be annoyed if your personal ad costs the Democrats the midterm elections. And for God's sake, do not show it in Ohio.

11:03 PM  
Blogger astrid jane said...

God, I'd be this election's Ralph Nader. The National news would be running headlines like "Lonely Midwestern Bisexual Swings Senate Race to GOP...somehow" and "American Voters to Washington: We Hate Slutty Grads/Mexicans."

11:53 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

It certainly would make for a more interesting political headline than "Diebolt rigs voting machines." Hey, astrid jane, check your friendster account!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

I think that message was quite refreshing.

"Oh hello! You don't know me, but I just thought I'd pop in and say, I don't like you!"

In a weird way, I'd just really like that kind of honesty.

10:15 AM  
Blogger dorotha said...

at least he didn't call you a dirty hippie.

10:07 PM  
Blogger AK said...

Wow, that guy really made an effort. The angry message I got during my very brief and unhappy Yahoo personals stint was just a one-liner accusing me of being a lesbian. Which in my case was not actually true. It really puzzled me why someone would go out of their way to do something like that, but then again when I see cars with super "patriotic" right-wing bumper stickers I do have to fight the urge to do some property damage. I guess sending an angry email is easier and less illegal.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home