Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Random notes 3/20-3/23

1. Children smell bad. Not babies, I generally like the way babies smell. It's school-age children that smell bad. It's a very particular bad smell too. They all have it. Sort of stale, a little acrid...metallic even. My downstairs neighbors have a kid, and I can always tell when he's been in the hallway because the kid-funk lingers in the air. Elementary schools totally reek of it. I think maybe people with school age kids tend not to bathe them that often. Maybe I'll like the way my own kids smell, though.

2. I've gained weight. 176.5 at the doctor's office, but that was with clothes and shoes. I'm oozing over the sides of everything I own, like a warm, yeasty sourdough starter.

3. My deviled eggs rival those to be found in the best restaurants. Case in point: Madison's Old Fashioned Cafe. Nice trendy little place on the Capitol Square, good food generally...but the deviled eggs there are sort of bland. Mine are not. My secret? Two kinds of mustard and a little Apple Cider Vinegar. Sometimes I even add a touch of curry powder. My deviled eggs KICK ASS.

4. I am suffering a severe lack of motivation work-wise. I'm not making much progress on my dissertation, and my classwork is mediocre at best. I feel like I kind of biffed my grant application process too. Like if I had done a better job, I'd have gotten further along in the Fulbright process (even if I ended up getting rejected eventually) would have gotten into the Berlin program outright instead of getting wait-listed, etc. I should have applied for more grants too....there were a few I could have put in applications for that I just didn't (mostly because each one is a fucking mountain of work.) Urgh...why do I always feel like I'm fucking up even when I actually do sorta okay? Or like I'm a huge dissapointment? Today I met with my advisor and she was all "Well, your applications clearly could have been better...I mean, they weren't BAD, I wouldn't have let you send them if they'd been bad...but they could have been better." I almost started crying, which was great.

They could have been better? What CAN'T be better?

5 Comments:

Blogger sep said...

so sorry about the advisor thing, they live to make us feel sorry, i think.

and if it's any consolation to you, i weigh exactly 100 lbs more than you!

wahoo!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

On #1, I think you're right about insufficient bathing of certain kids. I wouldn't say that mine actually get to smell foul (except, briefly, for obvious non-toilet-trained kid reasons), though they will smell less than sweet by the time they're forced into the bath. It's mostly a matter of parental tolerance well into the school years, IMHO. I'm not that hard of smelling, as the saying goes.

11:38 AM  
Blogger A+ said...

I can attest to #3.

2:25 PM  
Blogger AK said...

God, I haven't had a deviled egg in sooo long. Will you make me deviled eggs when I get back to the USA?

9:20 AM  
Blogger astrid jane said...

absolutely ak, as many as you can eat.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home