Monday, November 14, 2005

my life is unpleasant

I just got back from the dentist's. In case you were wondering what "dry socket" is, it's when the blood clot that forms in a tooth extraction site and protects the raw tissue while it's healing is either dislodged (and swallowed, most likely) or never forms at all. Sans blood clot, the bone and nerves are exposed to the air. This hurts and is absolutely repulsive to contemplate, I realize, but if I am going to go through it, everybody else is going through it with me.

For the foreseeable future, I will return to the dentist's office every other day to have the wound irrigated and fresh, medicated gauze stuffed into the tooth socket with a little metal poker. This also hurts.

It is unclear to me when these treatments will end. Probably when my lower jaw finally just gives up and falls off.

The medicated gauze, ibruprofen, and clove oil I've been variously tossing at the pain have helped somewhat, but there's now this deep fucking ache back there that might just be caused by having my jaw constantly wrenched open and hosed down.

I would love nothing more than to go home and curl up with Prince Vicodin, my new boyfriend (supplemented sometimes by Princess $39.99 Walgreens-Brand Heating Pad...and the occasional tumbler of Kahlua) but instead I am in the chilly and extremely loud 4th floor computer lab, banging out another grant application.

Also, I just blew my last $2.50 worth of quarters on parking. I did not, somehow, feel like walking to my dentist's and back for the hook, so I drove.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home