Thursday, July 14, 2005

Tonight's blind, and mute, date.

I scheduled an absolute flurry of online dates for this week...well, like three, but when you think about it, that's a LOT of goddamn beer, coffee and awkward small talk for a single 7 day period. I just got back from a date with bachelor number 2. Cute, but a goddamn potato in terms of conversational ability. For the first 15 minutes of the date he barely spoke and wouldn't even look at me. It was so bad, the BARTENDER at the place we met actually came to my rescue by jumping in and trying to keep the conversation going.

I couldn't help wondering if I wasn't as good looking as he'd hoped and he decided to show his disappointment by sulking and refusing to be drawn out. God knows, I'VE shown up for blind dates to find my partner to be about as appealing as a plate of cold chicken feet, but then again, I've nevertheless always tried to maintain a stream of polite questions and bubbly, winsome anecdotes so as not to make the situation even more painful. He warmed up a little after about a half hour and talked me into a second drink....and seemed kind of annoyed when I cut the date short. So maybe he didn't find me powerfully ugly...i don't know. Honestly, though, dude, I'm not here to clean your teeth...the first date is basically a TALKING thing. You can't just SIT there and stare at your drink for two hours. Fuck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home